September 18, 2006

One of the most (in)famous UAE images.... #18


OK - This is of course a screen shot, not technically a photograph.

I wasn't sure about posting this, but I feel that I have to get this out of the way for 2 reasons...

The first reason is the fact, like the proverbial elephant in the corner, that can not and should not be ignored that people in the UAE can not access a free uncensored internet. The stated reason a website can be banned (which means being blocked by a proxy server) in the UAE is one that advocates "any criminal or unlawful topics/messages/ideas that contradict with the UAE social, cultural, political, economical, or religious values". Please note the scope of this statement.

Currently sites blocked include skype myspace youtube and for us photographers flickr. This means that all you guys that post on flickr - I can't see your images... The banned sites are pretty extensive...

This blog could get banned for commenting on this (though I doubt it) other blogs have been banned. I hope not as I love where I live and love showing images of the country I now call home to the world... It is OK to disagree sometimes...

The second reason to post this image is that for a lot of people in the UAE this image is so commonplace, yet for the international viewers this will be a brand new insight into Dubai and an image I wanted to show you.

Couple of links for your further reading:

Internet Censorship
Amnesty International / Irrepressible

Tomorrow the usual photo service will be as normal. Thanks to everyone who has visited, over 1,000 hits in 17 days...

P.S. Any UAE bloggers that wish to leave comments listing known banned sites, please do so (excluding the obvious p0rn sites please!)

6 comments:

Kris said...

when i got to know the banning of flickr last year, it doesnt make sense. The site is 99% about photography ..1% intolerable material ..???

Woke said...

Sam has a good post on the banned websites. :D

Marie McC said...

Good post! It's a good reminder for the rest of us not to take our freedoms for granted.

Chris said...

What a great mindopening of your government...

No more comment, or i might be banned from my own country...

Anonymous said...

Keep on prodding, eventually someone will take note.

Anonymous said...

I think its abuse the law in Dubai, if you looking Dubai Real Estate Property, you can go there.